Working from Mac OS
The CloudReady file that you download is compressed in .zip format. Due to a bug in Mac OS, the CloudReady file must be unzipped using the free software called Unarchiver. If Unarchiver is not used, the USB installer creation process will fail.
Unzip CloudReady file using Unarchiver
1. Download the Unarchiver utility to allow you to correctly unzip the CloudReady installation file.
2. Locate the Unarchiver zip file in your downloads folder. Click to unzip it, and then click on the icon to install.
3. Locate the CloudReady file that you downloaded earlier, right click it, and selection "Open with" and then "The Unarchiver" option.
4. Once the file is extracted, the result will be another CloudReady file, with a ".bin" extension. In the next steps, you will use the Chromebook Recovery Utility to turn the .bin file into a CloudReady USB installer.
Install and launch the Chromebook Recovery Utility
Download and add the Chromebook Recovery Utility extension to your Chrome browser:
1. Locate the blue "Add to Chrome" button on the top right hand corner of the page.
2. The Chromebook Recovery Utility will be installed in your browser, and will show up on the Apps Page.
Create the USB Installer
1. Launch the app and click on the blue Get Started button.
2. Locate the gray gear icon on the top right of the window.
3. Click the gray gear icon and choose Use local image.
4. Locate the CloudReady .bin file that you extracted using Unarchiver, and follow the instructions on the screen. When prompted, insert your 8GB or 16GB USB flash drive. During the process, it is normal for the utility to show unusual percentages.
5. When the process is completed, remove the USB flash drive from your computer. Your USB flash drive is now a CloudReady installer, and is ready to use!