Manual steps in Chrome OS
Before starting the manual USB creation process, you must download the .zip file that contains CloudReady. Start by downloading the CloudReady .zip file to your standard downloads folder, not the target USB device.
- Current CloudReady Enterprise/Education Customers or Trialers: download the .zip file from my.neverware.com on the Downloads tab.
- CloudReady Enterprise/Education New Trials: You can start a 3 week trial of the Education or Enterprise Editions of CloudReady, totally free, by signing up at try.neverware.com. After signing up, you'll be able to download the .zip file from my.neverware.com.
- CloudReady Home Users: If you are an individual user and don't need support or management, download the .zip file for our free Home Edition here.
Note: The rest of this guide assumes that you have downloaded your image and that it is in your Downloads folder.
Download and add the Chromebook Recovery Utility extension to your Chrome browser:
1. Add Chrome Recovery Utility to Chrome: After clicking on the link above, you'll be brought to the following Chrome Web Store website;
- Click 'Add to Chrome' in the top right-hand corner.
2. Confirm & Install: On the Add "Chrome Recovery Utility" prompt:
- Click 'Add app'
3. Launch: The Chromebook Recovery Utility will now be installed and will show up on the app drawer.
- Click on the Recovery icon as shown below.
Note: As a general rule of thumb it is recommended to ensure the USB you are using has been formatted before continuing with the steps mentioned below. To format your USB using the Google Chrome Recovery Utility follow the steps mentioned here.
1. Initial Screen: Once launched, you should see the below screen.
2. Locate the gray gear icon on the top right of the window.
3. Browse for Local Image: Click the gray gear icon and choose Use local image and locate the cloudreadyXXXX.bin.zip file in your Downloads folder.
4. Insert USB device: When prompted, insert your 8 GB or larger USB flash drive and choose the corresponding drive on the screen.
-During the process, it is normal for the utility to show unusual percentages.
-Proceeding with this step will erase the target flash drive. Proceed with caution.
5. Process Complete: When the process is completed, remove the USB flash drive from your computer.
Congratulations, your USB flash drive is now a CloudReady installer and is ready to use!