Manual steps in Chrome OS
Before starting the manual USB creation process, you must download the .zip file that contains CloudReady. Start by downloading the CloudReady .zip file to your standard downloads folder, not a USB device.
- If you are a current CloudReady customer, or have already signed up for a trial, download the .zip file from my.neverware.com on the Downloads tab.
- You can start a trial of the Education or Enterprise Editions of CloudReady, totally free, by signing up at try.neverware.com. After signing up, you'll be able to download the .zip file from my.neverware.com.
- If you are an individual user and don't need support or management, download the .zip file for our free Home Edition here.
Once downloaded the CloudReady image .zip file will be in your Files App, probably in your Downloads folder. The name will change depending on the version of CloudReady you've downloaded, but it should always end in ".bin.zip" as shown below.
The rest of this guide assumes that you have downloaded your image and that it is in your Downloads folder.
Install and launch the Chromebook Recovery Utility
Download and add the Chromebook Recovery Utility extension to your Chrome browser:
1. Locate the blue "Add to Chrome" button on the top right hand corner of the page.
2. The Chromebook Recovery Utility will be installed in your browser, and will show up on the Apps launcher.
Create the USB Installer
1. Launch the app and click on the blue Get Started button.
2. Locate the gray gear icon on the top right of the window.
3. Click the gray gear icon and choose Use local image.
4. Locate the CloudReady zip file you downloaded and follow the instructions on the screen. When prompted, insert your 8GB or greater USB flash drive. During the process, it is normal for the utility to show unusual percentages.
5. When the process is completed, remove the USB flash drive from your computer. Your USB flash drive is now a CloudReady installer, and is ready to use!